Labels

Kevin Pietersen became England captain


Kevin Pietersen was named as the new captain of England's Test and one-day teams on Monday.
Pietersen, 28, replaces Michael Vaughan, who resigned on Sunday, to become England's 74th Test captain and also takes over the one-day side from Paul Collingwood, who also stepped down at the weekend.
With England's selectors keen to appoint one man to captain all international sides, instead of the split captaincy method they have adopted over the last year, Pietersen was always the favourite because he is virtually the only player guaranteed a place in both teams.
The Hampshire batsman, who captained England in a one-day international against New Zealand earlier this year, will lead England in a Test for the first in Thursday's final Test against South Africa at The Oval.
"I'm very thrilled and excited to have been given the opportunity to captain England," he said. "It's a huge honour and a terrific challenge for me at this stage of my international career.
"I have learned a great deal about leadership from playing under both Michael and Paul and fully appreciate the level of responsibility that comes with the job of captaining your country.
"They are big shoes that I have to fill but I will give it the best possible go. It is a great honour.
"It is something that has turned my life around in the last 24 hours. It has been a very emotional time for me."
Pietersen insisted the captaincy would not make him temper the aggressive style which has made him one of the world's leading batsman.
"Time will tell but I hope it won't restrict the way I play. I've been successful with my style and I would be foolish to change that," he said.
National selector Geoff Miller, who heads the selection panel which chose Pietersen, confirmed his role as an established member of all three international teams was a key factor.
"In choosing a new captain, we were keen to identify a player who could lead the team in all three forms of cricket and bring fresh enthusiasm and ideas to the role of captain," Miller said.
"Kevin is a world-class player who will command the respect of the dressing room and I am sure he will be looking to lead from the front and work closely with both the players and the coaching staff to bring England success in the future."