Labels

Serena Wins Australian Open in a Grand Style

Serena Williams of United States defeated Russian Dinara Safina 6-0, 6-3 to win her fourth Australian Open title today, bringing her total Grand Slam tally to 10 in one of the most one-sided deciders ever.The win means the American, seeded second in the tournament, will also take the world number one ranking off Serbian Jelena Jankovic.


Williams rated her win as highly as her other grand slam successes."This one is right up there with the top," she said."You always think, I'm going to win, I'm going to win. When it really happens, I still can't believe the tournaments over. I feel like there's another match to be played or there's something else."It's an awesome feeling."


"Not much to say as I didn't spend one hour on the court," Safina admitted afterwards."Serena Williams played just too good - I was just the ball boy on the court today."


Williams, 27, utterly dominated third seeded Safina, allowing her opponent to win only eight points in the first set on her way to claiming the championship in less than an hour.


The American also won the women's doubles title with her sister Venus Williams on Friday.